Saturday, February 7, 2009

Top 10 Cover Songs

Again, these are in no particular order because I would never be able to make up my mind. Haha. Lord knows there are thousands of covers that have been done but these are ones that I love, love, love.

#1- Anberlin covering The Smith's- There Is A Light That Never Goes Out. I can honestly say that I love Anberlin's version better than the original, even with the fake accent. Ha.


#2- The Sunday's covering The Rolling Stones- Wild Horses. Reese Witherspoon and Mark Wahlberg on a roller coaster. That's all I'm gonna say.

#3- John Mayer covering Tom Petty- Free Fallin'. B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L.

#4- Ryan Adams covering Oasis- Wonderwall. I loved Oasis when I was in junior high so I was skeptical about this song being good but it is better than the original. This is one of the songs I've had on repeat for HOURS! Ha. I think it's the reason for Josh Wells hating it. Ha.

#5- Deftones covering Lynard Skynard- Simple Man. To be honest, I couldn't stand the original because it reminded me of some pond scum that I used to date who will remain nameless but when I heard this, I couldn't help but love it. It actually helped me appreciate the original again. It reminds me of my Grandpa Weed and it's great to see my friends in EC who still listen to it. It takes me back to when he was alive and I picture him when he was their age.


#6- City and Colour covering Neil Young- Cowgirl In The Sand. If you haven't heard this, you must. Dallas Green's voice is gorgeous!

#7- The Postal Service covering Phil Collins- Against All Odds. I loathe Phil Collins. LOATHE him. Something about his balding head and butt chin makes me want to punch myself in the neck so you can imagine if just looking at him causes these feelings what his music does to me. But I love the Postal Service and they did an awesome job at making a shitty song great.

#8- Alien Ant Farm covering Michael Jackson's crazy ass before he was crazy- Smooth Criminal. AAF are the funnest performers I've seen probably ever. It is quite the gamble to cover such an iconic artist but I think they did a good job!

#9- Van Halen covering the Beach Boys- California Girls. I think the only reason this song is near and dear to me is because I remember watching it on MTV when I was a little girl. It reminds me of when my parents were still married. Good times. I thought I was cool because my Dad let me watch MTV. Such a rebel, even at two. Ha.


#10- Heart covering Led Zeppelin- Black Dog. W-O-W.

Honorable mentions- This was a pretty hard post becasue I was only limited to 10 songs so I had to add in some honorable mentions.

I Shall Be Released written by Bob Dylan. This song has been covered so many times but my three favorites are by The Slackers, Warren Haynes with Ray Lamontagne, and Jeff Buckley.


Landslide by Fleetwood Mac. Both the Dixie Chicks and the Smashing Pumpkins are my favorite covers of this song.

No Scrubs by TLC covered by Incubus. Funny, funny, funny. I think Incubus has covered every song under the sun. This by far is my favorite. Ha.

1 comment: