Monday, August 2, 2010

Me and Mrs. Jones have got a thang goin' on.

Imagine yourself sitting at the top of Coors field watching a great game of America's past time, when the most beautiful lightning storm you've ever seen strikes. Then imagine that you have your best friend at your side to share in the moment. Things couldn't be more perfect.

Suddenly, the rain starts coming down in sheets. You and your best friend start running for cover when all of a sudden, your shoe breaks. You try and make it work but realize it is to no avail. You look at your best friend, she looks at you. You take off your other shoe and just throw it without even looking. You are standing there shoeless wondering what you’ll do now when without skipping a beat, your best friend takes off both of her shoes and throws them. You both find yourselves running around the streets of Denver, soaking wet, hysterical, shoeless, and without a care in the world. It takes a certain kind of friend to enjoy and share a moment like that with and I've found that friend in Candace.

Hello everybody and thank you for joining this afternoon to celebrate Candace and Matty. For those of you who do not know me, my name is Heather and I've been friends with Candace for about three years and have known Matty going on seven years. Candace and I met at work and I'll never forget the day I invited her to hang out. She sat right behind my Mom and we were making plans to go out that night with a few co-workers. I happened to turn around and look at Candace and there she was looking at me like a wet and homeless puppy dog. How could you not invite her along with her big blue eyes?

And I’m so glad I did. That night basically sealed the deal for us becoming the best of friends. We have been pretty much inseparable ever since. We've only known each other for three years but have been through so much together. Candace has been there to catch me before I have fallen both literally and figuratively. We've road tripped through Vegas and San Diego, sang our hearts out at concerts, lost a combined 70 lbs together, roamed the streets of Denver shoeless, the list goes on and on.

When Candace and Matty first got together, I mentally prepared myself for the changes to our friendship that would surely occur. Would there still be mad shopping sprees and lazy nights making dinner and watching movies? Would I lose my gym partner? While I don't get to see her as often as I used to, Candace is still my best friend and I have gained another in Matty. Words truly can't express how happy I am for the both of you and I can't wait to watch your love grow over our lifetimes.

I think the point of the "maid of honor" speech is to brag up the bride and add in a sprinkle of marital advice. Now that I've bragged about Candace, I'll give you my personal marital advice. Never take wedding advice from your un-married friend.

I didn’t want to leave you empty handed so I went ahead and did what any other single girl would do when given the task; I googled it. Here’s what I found:

  • A successful husband is one who makes more money than his wife can spend.
  • Learn these four words: “you are right honey.”
  • Never answer “dust” if your partner asks you “what’s on TV today?”
  • Remember that in the word “wedding” the “we” comes before the “I"
  • You will grow old and you will both change but the fun part is falling in love with same person over and over again.
My greatest wish for the two of you is that through the years your love for each other will deepen and grow, so that years from now you will look back on this day, your wedding day, as the day you loved each other the least.

May 'for better or worse' be far better than worse.

Here’s to the power couple! And Candace, I owe you a pair of shoes.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That was really freaking sweet. Really. And there are no more words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been feeling rather blue lately...this made me smile. Thanks to you (and your friends?), my day is off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete