Thursday, August 12, 2010

Pretty Please

Something is....off. I feel like every blog I read says something to the effect I'm just not inspired but HERE! Look at these pictures! or Boo, my fabulous house has too much space that I don't know how to design because of all the bookshelves and I own a Nook, Kindle, AND iPad so I don't have anything to fill these said bookshelves or I'm taking a break. The starting of this blog was supposed to be something profound and now I'm only posting on how my co-workers shart on themselves. I follow some very educated blogs. ;)

It's not just my "Internet" circle but most people I talk to as well are just in this....funk. I have been feeling less than inspired lately. (Except by that damn bouncy ball video!! I STILL am not over it.) It could be the fact that all that has been on my mind lately has been Texas and I don't want this blog to be strictly about my excitement, anxiety, etc. from selling everything I own to move to a place I've never been to and don't know a soul. That gets old quick. I'M even sick of it so I can imagine y'all.

 I also feel like I can't fully open up now that I know a certain few people (or maybe one person) are anonymously following this blog. Don't get me wrong, I made it public for a reason but when certain people who have removed themselves from my life only to blog stalk me and then go ahead and text the people I've happened to blog about without naming and tell them what a piece of shit they (and myself) are makes me less willing to write about me and what I'm going through. While it's annoying flattering, I'd really just like it if you'd move on like the rest of the world does when things are over. The credits have rolled and the clean-up crew is waiting for you to leave so they can clean the theatre if you know what I mean.

This blog started off strictly as a music blog. It was my top 10s. Maybe I felt inspired by John Cusack's character in High Fidelity since I started it during my then recent breakup. Who knows but music is one of the things I LOVE writing about. My job recently had us take a Birkman assessment and what do you know, music is my highest ranking interest area, so much so that they explained that my interest is so high that it is actually a need. I NEED music. I love, love, LOVE introducing people to new music or trying to peg a person on their musical preference. One of the biggest gifts you could give me is music. Maybe not physical music per se but mention a band that I might enjoy or show me a song I might love and I'll love you forever!

Not only am I in a life-slump, I'm in a musical slump as well. I've stooped so low this week as to listen to Pantera. PANTERA!?! Those of you who know me know my history with Pantera. We have a love/hate relationship. I have a hard time listening to them due to the fact that they take me back to my teenage years and Jesse. I found myself jumping to Randy Travis, Alison Krauss, and Anberlin for distraction.

Music has always been a way for me to cope. Maybe this funk I'm in can simply be solved by some new music. Everything I've been attracted to is pop-infused, like Katy Perry's Teenage Dream (over and over and over and over). This isn't a bad thing but I need MORE. Any suggestions? Pretty please?

3 comments:

  1. When in doubt, Gaslight Anthem, Rolling Stones, and Van Morrison. Throw in 'The Boss', Seger, Floyd, Lucero and that should ease the pain. Possibly both sets of Crows. I know none of this will be 'new' to you, but they are some of my go-to's...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather!

    Oh, man. Not only was I practically moved to tears by your comment on AE today, I also, 100% feel you on the whole world being in a bit of a funk. It's NOT your imagination. What is up with that?

    My theory is that late August/early September tends to be kind of an anxious time, anyway. Transition from summer to school, for a lot of people. Parents letting go of kids. People (you!) moving to new homes.

    Anyway, the parts you are able to open up and give us - I like! Whether you are in a music slump, life slump, or whatever. It's your personality that peeks through that makes you fun to read!

    Also - music. Ok. When I need some poppy stuff, that has a slightly longer shelf life than Katy Perry, Ghostland Observatory never lets me down. It's dancy. It's audacious. It's fun for summer OR ALL YEAR. Give 'em a shot - they haven't put out anything new in a while (to my knowledge), but that's because absolutely everything they put out is wonderful. Even years later.

    Xo,
    Tolly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Heather this is EXACTLY how I feel right now. I can't be bothered posting at the moment and have felt like this for about a month now. It's very strange. Maybe I'm working harder? Nah. I think there's a mysterious blogging disease which is affecting us all. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete