Thursday, September 30, 2010

Automatic, supersonic, hypnotic, funky fresh

Now let me see your 1, 2 step!

I had my first taste of Texas country last night. I took two step lessons at The Broken Spoke and I absolutely fell in love! There were only about 7 couples who took the lessons (which was more like an expert dancer giving beginners some tips before pushing us on to the dance floor) but after the lessons were through, the band took the stage and the dance floor came to life!

The Broken Spoke is an adorably gawdy restaurant/dance hall that has some amazing classic country history. There are pictures and memorabilia that include Willie Nelson, George Strait, and Dolly Parton everywhere.

I think I enjoyed watching the other people dancing more than I liked actually dancing myself. My poor partner just wouldn't take the reigns and lead. Apparently I'm a "natural born leader" so I need a strong partner. Hmmmm. I'm sure a few more weeks of practice and we'll be out there whirling around like the rest of them. All in all it was a great night and I made my first official Austin friend. We are trying swing dancing next week.

Texas, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

1 comment:

  1. Oh good!!! That sounds like it was a lot of fun! I'm glad you had a good time and made a friend, that's so awesome love! You're my hero

    ReplyDelete