Monday, June 14, 2010

Something 'bout the country

I grew up in a small town in Eastern Utah surrounded by plateaus and cow pies. I lived on the Old Wellington Road. Twice a year I'd get woken up around 5 AM by a cropper dusting the corn field right across the road from the double wide I lived in. This sounds like a movie but it's my reality.

Growing up I was SO embarrassed that I lived in a double wide. I did all I could to prevent new people from knowing where I lived because I hated it so much. Even when I moved to the city, I never intended on bringing anyone home in fear of having to pull up to that house. I'm a literal red neck and I live in a double wide. Please shoot me now.  

Now that I'm older I have no reservations about what it was. We had a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs (regardless if they were a few sizes too big), and got to travel so much when we were kids.  If I were my Mom at my age I'd have an 8 year old, a 4 year old, and own my own business out of my house that I started and ran by myself. Wow. All I have is a 6 year old dog with a constipation problem. Thank you Mom! You rock.

Something that I've always thought was funny is that everyone always wanted to hang out at my house growing up. I could never understand why. I didn't have a trampoline, I didn't have the newest video game technology, I didn't have fancy things or clothes. I'm pretty sure my sister and I had more generic things than name brand. We even had the generic Aladdin movie which is even better than Disney's version. Suck it Walt. But for whatever reason, people flocked to our house. People have told me because it just felt like home which I can understand. My mom had a way of decorating things to where it just felt like...home. There really isn't another word. Hopefully I adopted that trait from her and my kids will have the same experience.

When I moved to the city, I thought I'd never look back. Never again would I have to slow down to 15 MPH to wait to get around a tractor taking up my side of the road. Never again would I have to worry that the biggest thing happening in town was the county fair or International Days. I was moving to the city and something big would be happening all the time!

Now that I've been gone for 8+ years, to be honest, I miss it. I don't miss the town I grew up in. I probably could never settle down there because of all the drama and gossip but another small town? Even the one where my grandparents still reside, I could see myself buying a house there and settling for a slower life style someday. Maybe not today, next year, or even the next 10 years but damn it, there's just something 'bout a small town. Boys are truly raised as men, people may be nosey but they're real, and the scenery is to die for. You can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl.

3 comments:

  1. I see a beer bottle on the hood. Alcohol + firearms = elation...

    Double wide, double wide, double wide paradise
    Come on back to our double wide paradise
    Double wide, double wide paradise

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how the things that used to embarrass us sometimes takes a bit of separation and time to see what others always saw in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Purple neck, I would say based on your picture with the gun.

    Also, OHMYGODSHESGOTAGUN!

    ReplyDelete