Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Weekend with the Gays

This weekend marked the good ole annual Pride weekend in the SL,UT. I can't believe it came so fast and yet, last year seems so far away. I don't know how but every year I've attended, I've managed to get retardedly intoxicated.

Last year, Christina and I went and ended up leaving early to paint her kitchen. It was a lime-ish green. It sounds ugly typing it but we actually did an amazing job and it fit the kitchen perfectly. Knotty alder and lime-ish green are a great match in case you were ever contemplating that color palate.

The year before that I got in a literal pizza fight with my boyfriend in his car. Not like the cutesy "oh let me rub pizza in your face and kiss it off." It was more like "I hope a piece of pepperoni lands in your esophagus causing you to quit breathing and you choke out and die right here in front of my house." We ended up finding pizza particles in his dashboard for the next few months. I thought it was hysterical but not many shared the humor. Seriously, if you could have seen the Seagulls the next morning...there are no words. Priceless. I still laugh out loud (NO LOL is not appropriate) just thinking about it.

Oh Pride. To so many it means seeing drag queens (shudder) and dudes in speedos squat thrusting. To me, it means so much more. I don't even think I've put as much thought into it as I have this year. To me it means equality. Not just for gays, lesbians, and transgendered people but for everybody. I honestly don't understand those who oppose to somebody else's sexual preference. What difference would it make? I don't know about you but I would much rather be with somebody who actually wanted to be with me instead of someone who felt obligated to be with me for religious reasons, race, sex, etc.

This year I walked down and met my sister and her girlfriend and had our little brother meet us as well. We sat on the grass and just talked, laughed, and drank. I loved watching people of all different shapes, sizes, colors, and beliefs coming together to celebrate. The greatest thing was seeing the families that were there. I had a great time and guess what? I wasn't a shit show.


2 comments:

  1. I'm constantly doing squat thrusts in my speedos. I didn't know that was a gay thing.

    ReplyDelete