Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The post where adultry and inhumanity make me mushy

While reading through my list of blogs I follow on the daily a few days ago, I came across this post. The whole thing just made me....shudder. The fact that these kinds of things are going on, publicized or not, just make me ill to my stomach and further back my belief that ignorance truly is bliss. While reading, a particular portion really stuck with me.

Sometimes we do things not because they are guaranteed to lead to the desired outcome. Look at the Hindenburg. Look at Pickett’s Charge. Look at “Herbie: Fully Loaded.” Look at most attempts at meaningful human connections.

Look at most attempts at meaningful human connections. It echoed in my head all day. What is the point of making those connections really? Why can some people have many different circles of friends and maintain relationships with all and others can only hold as many as one or two friends? Why are we so willing to jump into a relationship head first without looking back when most times, you hit the ground and break not only your head but your heart? (I'm probably the most guilty person of this)

A few of my friends are probably friends only for the sheer fact that we grew up together. We don't really have that much in common but our childhood has woven this blanket that keeps us wrapped around one another. A friend and I were just talking last night about how Price people (Price is the town we grew up in) mostly hang out with other Price people. Sometimes it's not even intentional. You can move away with the intent of starting a new life and meeting new people but the chance of you hanging out with another Price person is pretty great.
Then there are the friendships that are made without even meeting that person in real life, whether it be a pen pal, someone you met online, or just by talking on the phone. I became friends with a man who would always call my work line with questions and one thing led to another and we started emailing back and forth. I've never met him but consider him a friend. My oldest standing friendship of this sort goes back about 15 years or so, back when AOL just became popular. I just dated myself, didn't I? We've kept in contact via phone, snail mail, and recently reconnected via Facebook. We are planning to meet at next years Mardi Gras in good ole New Orleans. I never imagined we'd really meet but it's going to happen.

Then there are friends that when you meet them, you just know that person will make a major impact on your life and stay in it forever. Friends that you can expect brutal honestly with, cry with, laugh with, get into trouble with. You may get in a petty fight where you don't talk for two weeks over something ridiculous but the second you work past that, it's as if no time has changed. Or they may move away but when they visit it is like they never even left and you are back to making each other laugh at 4 AM singing Bruce Springsteen to one another in a delirious fog. "Hey little girl, is your daddy home or did he go and leave you all alone....?"

Sadly, there are those friendships that last only a little while, be it two weeks or two years. For whatever reason, those friendships end. Maybe they were only there at a time where you both needed something and once you've got it, you can move on. It doesn't make those friendships better or worse, they just are what they are.

I'll probably never fully understand how or why we humans do connect in the ways that we do but I do know that I'm so lucky to have the people in my life that I do. I love them all and wish I could just get them all together right now for a big group hug. Love you all!

Not sure why I'm so sentimental but take it for what it's worth.

2 comments:

  1. t is funny how that works.... Time can do so much damage, too (although I suppose on the glass-half-full side it can do a lot of good). Some of my friends who I used to look at and think "I can't imagine not being THISSSS close to you EVER" are the friends I think of now and wonder, "How in god's name did I associate with that person?"

    ReplyDelete