Sunday, March 14, 2010

I'm not an addict (Maybe that's a lie)

"Hello, I'm Heather, and I'm a music-aholic."

"Hi Heather!"

I don't have an addictive personality. Everything about my genetic make-up says I should be an addict but I'm not. My Gramps was a major alcoholic for years and then ironically died from liver cancer once he was 10 years sober. I have an uncle that's been in and out of rehab. I have other family members that I'm pretty sure have problems too that they may or may not have admitted to. Most of my friends from high school have been in a rehab at one time or another. Addiction has always been around me. I guess I got lucky.

Except when it comes to music. I. Love. Music. I couldn't imagine my life without music. I'd rather lose both legs and arms than be deaf. I think it would be the most tragic thing to ever happen to me. I'm constantly listening to music. In fact, one of the prerequisites of dating someone is their music taste or if they have any. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a music snob nor will I ever judge you for what you listen to. Unless it's Creed or Disturbed. Then we don't really have much to discuss. Bye bye.

I blame my dependency (isn't blame self-denial? Ha) on my mother. Ever since I can remember she had music playing 24-7. Literally, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It felt foreign to come home to a quiet house. She listened to everything from Boston and Led Zeppelin to Keith Sweat and Earth, Wind, and Fire. Country, Classic Rock, R&B, Pop, New Age, even the Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos. Pretty much you name it, she listened to it. I credit this to being the reason why my sister and I are such music lovers. In fact, this blog started out about nothing but music. I made lists of songs, much like John Cusack in High Fidelity. Kylee's blog is still basically all about music.

I usually get stuck on one artist and listen to them until I can no longer listen to them for one more second....of the day. I have yet to get sick of a band. Lately it's been Imogen Heap's (fairly)new CD titled Ellipse. I can't seem to get enough of it. Also, The Dear Hunter. All three CDs that have been put out have been playing constantly on my I-pod. I can't stop listening! The way the whole album tells one big story is just awesome to me. Every song has it's own distinct sound yet somehow they all flow into one another. I often imagine what it would look like if you took each song and translated it into a play. I picture pin-up girls dancing around soldiers, tanks, war scenes, smoke. Nothing would make me happier than to watch that play. It would be amazing. I have also created plays in my head to Imogen's "Cumulus" and Bon Iver's "Woods". Am I a freak? Don't answer that.

This often leads me to believe I should maybe make a living by doing something with music. I can't carry a tune to save my life. I haven't officially learned to play an instrument unless you count a recorder an instrument and I wasn't even really good at that. Plus, that was second grade. I am pretty good at listening to a song and sitting down at a piano and figuring it out but I've just never taken the time for it. I could be a DJ maybe? I've been a guest DJ several times on UtahFM.org and have actually been surprised at how natural it feels to be behind that mic. I also have a surprisingly sexy radio voice if I don't say so myself. Maybe I could set music to movies? I used to play a game where we'd put an I-pod on shuffle and describe the movie scene for the song that was playing. For instance, if The Prize Fighter Inferno's "78" came on, I'd describe a cheesy 90's scene out of Miami of a cop chase or something. Or how Head Automatica's "Brooklyn Is Burning" would be the perfect opening credits for a bad ass movie. I can't even tell you how many hours of my life were wasted on playing that.

I really have toyed with the idea of looking for a career surrounded around music but I guess my only fear would be that I'd get sick of it. But then there is the question, could I ever get sick of music? I haven't in all my 27 years so I don't see it happening anytime soon. Hmmm...



Me at UtahFM.org

1 comment: