Monday, March 22, 2010

Oh she's only 17, wind and wind and wound up over everything


Every generation has the same story but they think it's their own. I had my little brother over for dinner the other night and it was so funny to listen to him and his friends recall nights of partying, school, girls. I remember being 17. Do I miss it? Hell no! Remember when you thought life was so stressful and hard? A fight with your boyfriend was like the end of the world. How could you possibly go on if this person broke up with you and started dating someone else? Well guess what?! You grew up and chances are they are dating someone else and the sun still rises and sets, every 24 hours. . Or what about having to work a mere 20 hours a week AND go to school for 6 hours a day. I'm now working on average 50 hours a week, trying to train for a marathon, clean two houses to make extra money every week I only wish all I had to worry about was getting to school each morning to hang out with my friends. I had high honors all throughout high school without even studying. High school was just 6 hours of socializing.

My little brother is somewhat of a shit show. All he cares about is "getting faded" and his girlfriend(s). I don't get to see him much so having him over for dinner was so awesome. I felt like for the first time we could actually talk as adults. There is 10 years between us so I've always felt like more of an aunt than a sister to him. I wish I could tell him what the next 10 years will be like for him and what he should focus on but I know he wouldn't listen to me. I wouldn't have listened when I was age and probably wouldn't even listen now. We are the type of people who pretty much need to figure shit out on our own. We can't learn from other peoples mistakes. We're stubborn.

For now, I'll just listen to his "epic" party stories and let him think he's a bad ass and be there for him when he starts to figure shit out and realize life isn't as easy as it is when you are 17.

2 comments:

  1. I remember those days...

    You're always seventeen in your hometown. - CCR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah those days won't come back again...I miss my teens...:(

    ReplyDelete